Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ride a bus for 10 hours and then some more?

It is time to leave Bangkok again for the north. The plan is to get on the bus and go a few hours every day, finding some charming hamlet to spend the night heading our way up to Chiang Mai from which we will explore several towns that are 3-4 hour bus rides away. I do not want to do this. We did Pattaya on the bus, that was okay but I suffered a bit butt numbing and this ride was only for 1.5 hours.

I realize the cultural benefits of riding a bus vs flying in...but I just don't want to do it. I would rather fly into CM, then bus around. Not bus up then bus around and bus back....ugh. So we have a talk. We talk about the weather, the bus, aching.... It is just as hot up in Chiang Mai. This doesn't bode well!

We get online and look up AirAsia, maybe we can fly somewhere cooler and enjoy the rest of our trip. No...We cannot. Everything we can get to is hot or hotter or requires a visa.

We discuss Hong Kong. We both like Hong Kong and it isn't hot. We book the tickets for the next day and plan our final Bangkok experiences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tough to weigh, ey?

I am like you Lynn. Sometimes I would just rather fly. The UP Concert tour through Wetern to Eastern Europe, Greece, etc. We had 4 bususes and a large container vehicle (for instuments, stages, etc.) for 4 months! We/I saw very much w/ this modality, however, it seems as though what I remeber much are the "room-temp" (tepid) Coca-Cola and endless Fanta softdrinks. I impathize w/ your plight and decisions.
Love reading your adventures.
Greg
P.S. Do not feel obligated to answer my stupid thoughts. Too much to do and see for that... I could "feel it," (your dilema)though!

Anonymous said...

(sp) One does not have "impathy," but empathy...what a moron I am.
I taught english...hah!