Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A thought on Taxis

What does one do on their final Bangkok evening? V9! Of course. We have another of their trees and it is wonderful, our meals and service again impeccable. The wine and views can't be beat. A lovely way to end our Thailand leg of the trip.

We head out of the Sofitel and are directed to a taxi. The doorman tells him to use the meter and the driver is MAD. At us? What did we do but get in? No, I think he is mad at the Sofitel door man. The drivers do not want to use the meter, it is too low a price for the ride. We ask him to turn the meter on, he does not. We offer to get out, we will find a taxi that will turn the meter on. He reluctantly turns on the meter and gives us an ear full. We drive in semi silence, I occasionally toss out an endearing question...not endeared! We are driving all over the place, but not where we want to go. I ask about his and the driver tell us we are about 50% there. We should have been there already. I say this isn't good. He tells me it doesn't matter to him. It is getting a bit scary. Victor suggests he let us out. I don't like this idea, we are on the highway and it is night....

When we finally get to our destination, paying the meter, and it is twice what it should have been...I give him the money and should get 25 back. He tells me I am not getting anything back. I can't believe this. I sit waiting for my change. He finally gives me 20, but not the 25 due. I slide out of the cab and turn to give him a couple of my thoughts on his performance, but Victor is steaming and pushing me out of the way. He only wants to slaaaaaaam the door, and does. We are glad to be out of the taxi and back in our friendly Soi 11 neighborhood.

So if you ever find youself flagging a taxi in Bangkok, avoid the green and yellow taxi number 1701.

There is no question that the taxi fare structure in Bangkok could use a review and increase. I imagine it is difficult to make it with the price of gas and the low fares. But until that is done, the price is the price. We usually tip very well in the case of the taxis to make up for this disparity, but it is causing a revolution around town. Many times we have tried to get a taxi and the driver will not go unless it is off meter for a flat fee of 3-4 times what the meter would have been. We found ourselves walking a bit more often than we would have because of this. We too are stuborn.

The taxi saga continues the next day as we are heading to the airport. This is a $6.75 ride, we have taken it several times from the airport. Our doorman tells us he can get us a taxi but that it will cost $500 ($17) This irritates! I tell him we will be going meter. He heads out to the corner and brings back a taxi and says it is $500. I really don't need this kind of doorman negotiating on our behalf and tell him he is wrong about the price we are paying. I lean into the taxi and suggest the driver turn on the meter for the ride and we will pay the fare plus $100 tip. (That is about a $3 tip, or nearly 50%.) He likes this idea and off we go.

Perhaps he likes this idea because another taxi has already lined up right behind him ready to take us should the negotiations fall through. Perhaps it is his sense of fairness when presented to him in such a winning way...Whatever the reason, we are all happy with the outcome and he speaks great English and we enjoy a lovely conversation the length of the way to the airport.

No comments: